Thursday, June 26, 2014

Forgive & Forget

My mom tells me that I should forgive and forget. "I might be able to forgive but I will never forget," I replied.

How do you forget someone who physically assault your mother, your brother and yourself when you were young? Or the time he slapped you and you fell off a stool even though you did nothing wrong, and the reason he hit you was because you shouldn't be left "left out" when your brother is being disciplined for something he done wrong?

How about the time he hit your mother until she knocked herself on a cupboard, fainted, while he casually walked out of the house to have a cigarette, leaving you and your younger brother who were still in primary school at home with her unresponsive body and thinking that she was dead?

Maybe my memory could be wrong since those incidents happened so long ago when I was young...

When I graduated from middle school, I was told to get a job because he is planning keeping all his savings for my younger brother "in case he wanted to go to college with his friends". Or the time I was asked to leave the house because if I wanted to study, I should go find a way myself.

Ok, so maybe I could still be wrong, and some of your might consider it sibling envy...

Flash forward to the present: How about the time he accused you and your mother of plotting to steal his mother's inheritance while she's still alive, and lifted a wooden stool trying to whack you with it because you hold proof that one of his family member had already stole all the money in his mother's saving instead? 

Or the Chinese New Year where he tells you that his ONLY SON is living overseas and there are "no other relatives" he can depend on in Malaysia other than his sister and asked you to "stay out" and "stop meddling" with his "family affairs"?

Call me ungrateful or vengeful if you like but after all these years, I really don't believe in "forgive and forget", and I guess I never will.

No comments: