Monday, January 07, 2008

The One With The Plumbing Job

This is the reason why gay men can't be plumber: We suck! (No pun intended.)

The pipe in my bathroom has been leaking for months. It's getting so bad lately that the water actually seeps into the room next to my bathroom, leaving a water-mark so scarily hideous it makes the water-mark effects in "Dark Water" look like kindergarten school work.

My housemate proceeds to find a plumber to check out the problem two days ago and the plumber, who seem to be in a rush to get out of our house and not fix the leak, told us that we can solve the problem just by buying some white flimsy tape-majig and just do a little DIY ourselves and the leak will magically disappear. I was happy, because:
A) My housemate told me we have the white flimsy tape-majig (whatever you call those things.)
B) The plumber didn't charge us any consultation fee (Yes, I'm very poor now, so not having to pay for anything is like music to my ears.)

So this morning when I wake, I found the tape-majig that my housemate left for me - hanging on my room's doorknob. Since I was out for the rest of the day and got home at 2.30am, I decided that it's time to work the macho-manly side of me and fix the leak myself.

I took the tape, went into the bathroom, shut the water main, and took the tap head out. Yes, it was just like the plumber told us, the old white flimsy tape-majig can barely be seen on the tap head. Now according to this "expert", all I need to do is to wrap a few layers of tape on the tap head, screw the thing back, and the leak would stop.

There I was at 2.45am in the morning, working away, wrapping the white flimsy tape-majig onto the tap head. And before I knew it -- No, I didn't finish the work -- I kinda finished the tape! LOL...
I thought to myself: "Maybe this will work." So I went into the washroom and screw the thing back, tightly into its place, turned the water main on, and check the leak.

"Wow, I did it! I actually got it fixed!"

Not long after that I started hearing a hissing sound and I went in for a closer look: water is actually seeping out and the volume is increasing by the minute! I quickly turn the water main off and wanted to unscrew the thing. The minute I touched the tap head, guess what? The whole thing fell off!!!! The fucking thing just broke in two!!! The first thing that crossed my mind was: "HOLY SHIT!!!"

And then, after a few seconds brain-lag: "Lucky I had the water main switched off just in time before the tap went flying straight into my face!"

I then went out to find a screwdriver, and slowly, I unscrew the part that was left in the pipe and took it out. (See pix below:)
Now, instead of a small leak, my bathroom now has a hole in the wall and NO water supply, as I have to keep the main completely turned off to avoid a major flood in my room.
Morale Of This Story: Never get a gay guy to do a straight man's work. It can only spell disaster.

- jessism © 07012008 -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope your pipe has been fixed by now.
BTW, I started blogging again.

Mr RM said...

funny.... i have resorted to have a stop-cock for every pipe at home when we did the renovation..

it's safer....