Thursday, December 22, 2005

Right Or Wrong?

I received a two SMS from my housemates in JB earlier today. My take is that I'm partially wrong, but I'll you be the judge of what is going on:

His first SMS was: Hi Jess. Please make sure to switch off light before u go to work. I found so many of long hair at the sofa area and balcony. Have a COURTESY to clean it up.

My thoughts: I am on Christmas holiday. What he doesn't know is I haven't been home for the past two days. If he's referring to the "light" that I left on before I go to work ages ago, then I'm sorry, it's my bad. Heck, I've switched off the running fan for a couple of time when I wake up in the morning and saw that there's no one there but I didn't say anything. I didn't SMS him asking him to remember to switch off the fan next time before he sleeps. I thought that's what housemates are supposed to do? If one of us forgets something the rest helps out, right?

As for the hair on the floor: well, sorry if I'm the only one in the house who happens to sweep the living room floor and kitchen and mop it every other night and so happens that I don't sweep under the sofa and out the balcony. I will clean it up when I get back tonight and make sure I'll remember to clean those places the next time I choose to clean the house up.

But that's not all. Less than a minute later, another SMS came in: And please throw away the trash when necessarily. We live under the same roof and walk from same door.

My thoughts: Noted. Yes, I admit that I seldom take out the trash, so I will take the trash out every night before I sleep; Mop and sweep the floor every other night and remember to sweep and mop under the sofa and balcony; while I'm at it, why don't I help you clean up the dirty dishes and cooking pans that you "courteously" left lying in the sink since three weeks ago and haven't clean it up?

Sigh… I thought that living together with housemates we are supposed to compromise on certain things. Yes, I do admit that sometimes all of us might have our differences and all. But what you don't see doesn't mean that I never do. Yes, I seldom take the trash out, but seeing hair near the sofa doesn't necessary mean that I never have the "courtesy" to clean up the house. So the floor miraculously become sparkling clean when he comes home? Or perhaps he doesn't notice that at all when he comes home?

This housemate of mine works during the night and I work during the day. When I wake up to go to work around 8.30am, he's still asleep. But the sky, I believe, should already be bright enough for me to see my way and I don't need to switch on the lights. Okay, so let's say hypothetically that it's a rainy day and I forget to switch off the lights, and if you see it and help me switch it off once or twice, it's still ok, right?

What I don't get is: I’ve been away. Not just away, I'm miles away from JB and it's been for TWO days. (I'm in KL at the moment.) So how is it possible for him to SMS me now about not switching off the lights when I'm not in JB at all. If it's from ages ago, why didn't he tell me when he had the chance? Why wait until today, right? Could it be that he accidentally switched it on while I'm away and forgot that he did it?

Ask my ex-housemates in KL and they can tell you that I'm the one who would always make sure that all the lights are switched off and all plugs are being plugged off when I leave for holidays. We are all humans and we all do make mistakes from time to time. Let's say that if I have had overlooked the lights before I left for my holidays two days ago, then it's my fault and I’m really sorry.

The whole reason why I wrote this entry is because I feel like I did no wrong, but yet I received two SMS saying otherwise. My instinct tells me that if I reply to him and say that it’s not me, he would flipped and would thought that I'm denying the errors I've did. So I chose not to reply the SMS and chose to explain it to him when I eventually see him in person.

Am I doing the right thing? I dunno.

Another Jessism © 22122005

3 comments:

LMF said...

tell u wat, make a log and stick in on the fridge (if u have 1) and let them what what you did at when.
:P

it's hard to live with strangers, now i know

~ 小狗 ~ said...

It's only hard when the people you’re living with are calculative assholes. I got back to JB at 5am on December 23, and guess what? The lights and the fan in the house were on, and nobody's home! The dishes which were in the sink since once upon a time ago are still there…

I've been living with strangers since I was 15 or 16? And I have never met such assholes until recently. First it was the fucking male chauvinist in Penang, then this. Sigh…

LMF said...

come i sponsor u 3M stick in notes, then u stick the notes on the switch, and on those dirty dishes.