Monday, July 30, 2007

Negarakuku

Instead of spending time trying to improve the safety and clean up the streets of Johore, the government is now busy hunting for a web singer/blogger nicked Namewee, after his song, Negarakuku, hit Malaysia by storm.

The thing is I really don't get this! A couple of days ago, our government released a killer who cold bloodedly murdered a girl. Then there's report of the government arresting bloggers under the Official Secrets Act (OSA)! It really got me thinking of where our country s heading. We're turning 50 in less than a month. That's half a century!!! But instead of going for the better, our country is falling backwards! Criminals walk. Bloggers arrested. And now, even web singer is on the wanted list!!! Doesn't this look like what was happening when the communist were in charge? "Obey what we say, or die?" Only in this version, it's more like "obey, or go to jail for the rest of your life."

For those of you, who are still blur and unaware about the incident with Namewee, this is the lo-down. A Chinese dude from Muar, Johore, released the video of a song he wrote about Malaysia on YouTube and the government got pissed and now the dude is wanted. The irony is Namewee was recognized and even credited when he released his first hit, "Muar Mandarin", on YouTube years ago. But now, the government is denouncing him because he wrote a song about this country?!


The Song That Started It All...:
If you cannot understand Mandarin, this is the translation of Negarakuku:
[Main Credits]
2007 Visit Malaysia Year Theme Song
I Love My Country
Negaraku

Singer: Namewee
Original Track: Malaysia National Anthem
Rap Lyrics: Namewee
Composer: Namewee
Director: Namewee, Ah Lai
Editing: Namewee

[Video]
Check it out, yo, yo, yo.... Negaraku, Negarakuku.

I love my country
Only with a country you'll have a home, only then there'll be me, standing here with the ability to sing loudly
Don’t be afraid, even though I curse all the time, my song is just like durian: hard and spiky
If you dare to open it and look inside, you will see the truth within
It can stink or it can smell nice, depending on the type of nose you have

Our police are called "Mata" because they have very sharp eyes
When every New Year comes they'll be working extra hard, holding pens, but they will rarely give you a ticket
Because they are very thirsty and they need to drink tea or even black coffee
Want to add sugar?
If you add sugar, their mouths will be very sweet and smile at you, when you're leaving, they will even go "tata"

Negaraku, tanah tumpahnya darahku, rakyat hidup bersatu dan maju.

This phenomenon doesn't need any improvement, neither does it need strengthening
The police and the people working close together with just a cup of coffee to keep our relationship temperate
I like that very much, at least I won't go home with a ticket
My dad would sure be pissed off and I'll be fucked up
With no car to drive what can I do? This is too much!
Without a car, how do I go out and have fun?
Without a car, how do I have outdoor sex?
Without a car, how do I go see transvestites?

This country, I love it very much
Every 5am, there's even morning call to wake me up
Sometimes a few of them will sing together, it's like a love duet
With their voice ululating it's like R&B
Even though sometimes they sing out of tune, even though sometimes they even sing until their voices break
Sometimes the sound might sound like cockerels, but they wake up earlier than cockerels
Just so that we can know the time and get ready for school and work

Don't blame the government for only taking care of the Bumiputeras
Don't complain that we do not receive equal rights
Because only this way we can prove that we Chinese are not afraid of hard work
Only this way we can train ourselves to find solutions during hard times
Don't feel weird about their standards because this only shows that we are capable
Without the special treatments our children won't be spoilt and become too dependant
Don't believe? Just look and see! There are still some who are not weaned off breast-feeding

Rahmat bahagia, Tuhan kurniakan. Raja kita selamat bertakhta.

Those who hide in government departments are even better
Whatever they do, they do it slowly
Even when people who are queuing are already cursing "CHAU CIB@I!", they are still free and easy, they don't care
Sometimes they even bring their cakes out
When they eat their nyonya cakes, you will still have to queue up
Even if you really do curse "CHAU CIB@I!", it's ok, because the guard on the side is always daydreaming, he won't bother you

They wrap their heads up; slowly walk, slowly cross the road
When you drive pass, you have to be careful and let them pass through
The most important thing is to live happily and comfortably
Don’t be like the Chinese, working so hard very day, stressing themselves out
We cannot NOT admire this kind of spirit because this is their attitude in life

In this song, I only say good things
I believe those of you who are pissed at me will disagree
The world is peaceful, full of hope, no one is hurt, and there are no riots
You are classy, you are elegant, your shit is fragrant and you don't curse
You guys are high class, every day is all about romancing and listening to songs by Michael Wong
But the guy has already feld to Taiwan

It's very tough for private school graduates to get into local universities
But actually we don’t have to be pissed about this
It is actually government's very noble planning
They want us to explore the world, to find new opportunities
To learn things, then come back and repay the country
This is plan is so great, I can't criticize it
Around the world you can see Malaysia's children, it's as though they are refugees, ain't it fun?

Malaysia is having Visit Malaysia Year in Year 2007
The Chinese culture is brought out and paraded but the government doesn't even care about private school students
The certificate can be thrown into the dump
Just like me, graduated and went to Taiwan, learn new things and get ready to return home to repay my country

I stood on the streets of Taipei with my guitar but my mouth still sings:
Rahmat bahagia, Tuhan kurniakan. Raja kita Selamat bertakhta


Jessism On Negarakuku:
This song is sarcastic but one really can't deny that his R&B version of "Negaraku" is superb and his song holds truth. Malaysia is plagued with police that would block and extort money out of innocent drivers at times. I'm sure I'm not the only one in Malaysia who experienced this before! And of course, there's the ever-going debate about the university quota. The so-called Bumiputeras were given a very higher percentage, while other races in the country were given a very low entrance percentage. Malaysia kept stressing on "satu negara, satu bangsa", but they are the one who are practicing the biggest discrimination nationwide. If we are really "satu bangsa", as they say we are, why not abolish the university quota? Why not given all Malaysians a 5% discount when buying properties? And stop calling Malays the "Bumiputeras"!!!

The government sector? Who are we trying to kid?! They are slow, inefficient and a waste of taxpayers' money! If they could work a tad bit faster, be friendlier, and get their job done right, this song wouldn't even be online in the first place! As for security guards? I think whether they're there or not really doesn't make any difference! They are always old uncles who can't even finish a 100m run, or men who are so fat they can't even finish a 100m walk!!

The thing with private school graduates is also true. Their certificate is as good as nothing! With the absurd quota the government set, students with good results are not able to get into good universities, as the place were already taken up by idiots who failed their exams but were given a spot in the university because of the government's stupid quota! No wonder most Chinese families sent their children to countries such as Singapore or Taiwan to further their studies and most chose not to come back. Even our own local singers have to flee to countries like Taiwan to establish their careers!


Jessism On Malaysia: A Conclusion
Our government kept stressing that one shouldn't abuse the freedom of speech. But the thing is: If you haven't done of the things that people said you did, why worry?! I'm really puzzled why the government aren't spending their time trying to make Johore a better place to live in but spending their time releasing cold blodded killers on to the streets and wasting their time on songwriter who writes the truth?!

I love this country. But until the day the government stop running this country like a communist, stop the racial discrimination and admit their mistakes, this nation will never be able to reach the "satu negara, satu bangsa" thingy they wanted… Then again, are we really that stupid to see that it is just an empty promise that the government will never make come true?!

All I can say is: Everyone who are born in Malaysia are Malaysians! Bumiputeras, or not, we deserve the right to be treated equally!

- jessism © 30072007 -

6 comments:

lucas said...

I just love the way the Govt say that they need to help the "Malays' so that they are not left behind as compared to the Chinese and Indian who are far better off. Err...did the government help the Chinese and Indian get where they are today?

Its like this lar. U have two sons. One son works hard while the other just stay at home and not have a care in the world cause the father will provide him with all he wants. What's to motivate the son that is just sitting at home not doing anything to get up and go out looking for job? His attitute towards life now is, " Aiyah..why bother to work when Dad's still going to take care of me no matter i work or dnt work"

Another thing that gets to me is how some individual claim to be Bumiputera aka The prince of the earth when as far as i know, most of their Datuk dan nenek come from Indon.

Well..as Malaysia celebrates 50th Merdeka, I still feel treated like a 3rd class imigrant and I guess its because I cant come to terms with calling myself a "MALAY"sian.

Anonymous said...

This is a constant debate that's been going on. You are right. The government claims that they should help the Malays but did they help the Chinese and Indians get where they are today?! They did not!

The word "Bumiputera" used to meant those who were here in Malaysia first, usually referring to Iban, Kadazan, as well as the Baba & Nyonya in Malacca. But dunno-since-when, the government decided to coin the Malays "Bumiputera", which is very very wrong.

Like what the author said, all Malaysians deserve to have equal rights. But with the way this country is heading, the only race that will attain the best from the country is just the Malays. The rest are just ways to attract tourists into the country so that the government can use the money earned from tourism to invest it on the Malays.

薇凌法鱼 said...

we deserve the right to be treated equally!

为什么我每次看到你发表这样的言论就觉得很滑稽?知道为什么吗?因为你是我这辈子见过的人当中种族歧视,性别歧视,性取向歧视最严重的一个!哈哈!我有证据哦!

证据一:
“I think I might be having hormones imbalance, or whatever reasons you women use as an excuse to scream and shout at people (especially your boyfriend/husband) and still get away with it.” http://jessism.blogspot.com/2005/09/pms.html

证据二:
“Examples of things that fall into the stench category would include rubbish, certain women's perfume, Indian, garlic, and women. Yes, women!”
http://jessism.blogspot.com/2007/05/scentstench.html

可惜平时你说的话没有录音,不然更多。
不是我不同意你讲的,只是从你口中讲出来,没什么说服力:P
(迟早会被你宰掉的魔鬼鱼)

~ 小狗 ~ said...

Like the song in "Avenue Q" goes: "Everyone's a little bit racist...". I admit that. Who isn't?! But to say that I am the most racist person alive is a little bit overrated.

Evidence 1:
That is not even evidence! Women do use their menstual problems as a getaway for allthings; be it at work, or with their personal life. Whether you like to admit it, or not, I'm sure all of you women out there must have tried it at least once, using your menses or femininity to get away from things.

Evidence 2:
For the "Scent/Stench" posting, I am writing from a gay perspective and from my own personal experience. It is, afterall, who I am. And since I have other men backing me up with the statement, it only proves that I am daring enough to admit it, rather than the sum of those who chose to hide behind their comfort zone.

In short, let me clear this once and for all, for everyone of you readers out there. If you have a problem with whatever I say in my blog, feel free to surf on to another page. You can continue to send me hateful comments and all, which I would gladly approve, but I don't have to, and I will not be, apologetic for something which, in my opinion, I think is the truth.

The society is governed by the government, and I already have a mother to tell me what to and not to do in life. Since this is my blog, I really don't need this. Not here, darlings.

Thanks you.

薇凌法鱼 said...

证据一:
男人不是女人,要怎样了解女人在经期的痛苦?那是内出血耶!为何你可以判断那全是借口?酒精尚且可以让人疯狂,更何况是能影响人类发育的荷尔蒙?没有亲身经历过,为何可以这样肯定地判断?
那种借口很好用吗?我用过两次,第一次:不停地在学校呕吐,肚子痛到只能一直抱着,只好回家。第二次:头晕、呕吐、肚子痛。而我就不以拥有这种特权为幸运啊?(一脸疑惑的魔鬼鱼)

证据二:
男人不臭吗?为什么有时你在购物广场会被一些男人熏到要吐?在这个世上有什么是不会发臭的?即使香水过了期也会发臭啊!干嘛硬要去区分?而且还经过过滤。

对!我知道令堂会教你什么该做什么不该,可是Aunty都没有读你的blog。我也很想在我的blog发发牢骚就好,可是你都不看别人的blog的,那我写来做么?

(惨了!想吃Ikan Bakar吗?来这里就对了!)

Anonymous said...

I don't understand mandarin but dare I ask what is the relevance between women and this posting?