Monday, July 02, 2007

Blood Test

It's been ages since I did my last full fledge blood test. I think the last one was about 3 to 4 years ago? Yeah, it's been that long!

Now you're all probably wondering what the hell is wrong with me. To be honest, there is NOTHING wrong with me. If I'm not mistaken every healthy person should get a proper medical check up about every 6 to 12 months? You know what they say about early detection. Since my family has a history of cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure, the more reasons for me to get my check up.

Watching my fasting time closely, I skipped my regular habit of having supper on Saturday night and went straight to bed. Jess being Jess, I overslept. I was supposed to head to the clinic early in the morning but when I got up it was already 11am. By the time I got done washing up and reach BP Lab, it was almost 12pm.

When I approached the girl at the counter, I told her that I wanted to do a complete blood test. Then she asked me which one. How many "complete blood tests" are there?! She then showed me two different charts, which looks a lot like menu of a cheap restaurant – the kind that they laminated the A4 printout and are already old and dog-eared.

She proceed to explain that the most commonly done test is something call "Profile D", which they give a full blood picture, liver function test, screening for Hepatitis B, as well as blood group screening and etc. Sounds like the one I wanted. Then she took out the other chart and continued on. "These are optional screenings for cancer, STD, HIV and Hepatitis A and C." Since when screening for five different types of cancer, STD, HIV and Hepatitis A & C become optional?!

Since the list is coded with analyte, she began explaining to me which is which and why should I take those "optional" tests. Something about CEA, PSA, CA12-5, CA15-3, which sounds to me like some secret CIA nuclear code. Then she came to HIV and then she paused for a bit. Not knowing what to say about it, and thinking that I'm some idiot who wouldn't know what that is, she went: "If you're sexu..." and then she stopped. I'm guessing that she wanted to say: if you're sexually active??? Yes I am. So?

When I looked up, her face was red. What the...? Doesn't she do this everyday?! Why still blush?! She then went, "oh, you know. It's a test for AIDS." Well, duh!!

At that point, I was thinking since I'm going to lose 10cc of blood anyway. I might as well do everything at one go instead of coming back again to lose another 10cc of blood later down the road. So, I decided to take all the "optional" tests and I'm now waiting for my results.

To be honest, I'm dead nervous. Not to say that I had unprotected sex or anything. But it's all about the what ifs. What if I tested positive for Hepatitis? What if my blood count comes back low again? Will I get high cholesterol count since I haven't been watching what I ate lately? All these will be revealed this weekend!

Do wish me luck!

6 comments:

Apollo n Hermes said...

i think i'll go for the blood test too... but not sure b4 or after the bangkok trip... emmm...

'full tests'???

~ 小狗 ~ said...

Hahaha... if you are going to have sex in Bangkok, remember to use protection o! =þ

It's better to do after la... At least you'll have extra cash with you for the trip. ;)

+ l a a . l a a + said...

ah!! i just read ur blog after we set the appt tmr.. wahaha

it looks so.. coincidence..

haha talk again tmr~ c ya!

savante said...

Ooh tell us what's up with the blood tests!

albert said...

Wow, times have changed since the bus story.

+ l a a . l a a + said...

Happy Birthday to JesSSSSSSSSssssssss!!

wahahahaahahahah


Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

YeaH!!!