Saturday, June 30, 2007

Buses

Buses. The most common public transport here in Malaysia. Definitely a better alternative compared to the taxi cabs, which takes you for a joyride and charge you a bomb for it. Ever since I was a kid, the first thing that my mom tought me about public transports is how to take the bus, and most importantly – always remember to thank the driver/conductor when you alight. I know, it sounds like an American/Mat Salleh thing to do, but it's a form of courtesy! But unfortunately, the chances of us Malaysians thanking our bus drivers is close to zero. Even in Singapore I've seen people thanking the drivers. But in Malaysia? No.

As times goes by, conductors are now being replaced by cash/card machines. Now buses only have one driver and that's about it. The frequency of me taking buses also decrease. I have to admit, sometimes I would just alight the bus without thanking the driver. Yes, sometime, I forgot about it. But sometimes, I just chose not to. But can you blame me? It's not that we Malaysians are rude or anything. Sometimes the drivers really don't deserve to be thanked!

Ever since I move back to KL three months ago, I've been taking the Rapid Kl buses quite frequently. RM2 for a one-day pass sounds reasonable doesn't it? During the weekend, I always got on to this bus that an old uncle drove. From my observation, the uncle greeted almost every boarding passenger with a smile or a nod, which gave me the impression of: WOW! The service has really improved big time! It kinda reminded me a lot of Australia. Everytime I see that uncle, I would definitely scream a loud thank you before I alight.

Anyways...

Yesterday, having a k-date with Melvin, Kim, David, and Verlyn at Sg Wang, I left work right on the dot. Went home to shower and headed out to catch a bus over. I think it was around 6.35pm, or so, when the bus arrived. Everything started out fine. It is the first time I actually see Malaysians queuing to get on a bus instead of the usual pushing and shoving! As we got on the bus, people started showing their tickets to the driver and got on. When it came to me, I was the first to have to pay. So I dunk all my coins into the box and waited for the driver to issue me and ticket. Instead, the driver was staring fiercely at me and went: "How much did you put in there?!" Normally, I wouldn't mind a question like this, but the dude was almost screaming at me.

"Two ringgit?" The guy then proceeds to ask me in a very rude manner: "How can I be sure?! If didn't see how much you put in! That doesn't count!" I'm like, what the fuck?! For those of you who took buses previous, you should know that after you slot the money in, there is a transparent plastic that the driver can see the money that is put in. And this guy was just being a prick! He then asked me to: "I can't give you a ticket. I can't be sure! Go to the back first!"

I swear to god, I almost screamed out the F-word!

Since there were other people behind me and passengers who boarded the bus earlier were already starring at the hoo-haa that was going on. I obliged. I really didn't know what to do then. I paid for my ticket but I wasn't issued any ticket! Since I don't have any small change left on me, I was really pissed and worried at the same time.

More passengers boarded from the same stop. Then another commotion happened. A girl boarded with a RM5 note. Since the person before her didn't exactly slot their RM1 note in very well, you could still see the note hanging out a little. The girl in a very polite manner told the driver that she needed a RM1 change for her RM5 note, as there were two of them. At this point, anyone sane would know to take the RM1 note that was hanging on the slot, give it to her and move on to the next passenger. What the driver did instead was he shoved the RM1 note in every offensively and shouted at the girl. "No change!" At this point, everyone in the bus was already giving a what-the-fuck look at the driver. The girl looked lost. Very lost, in fact. In my mind, the whole thought I had about KL buses had their service improved just went straight down the drain!

At the next stop, another incident happened. I was still standing close in front, so I noticed everything. A group of people came up and this time, a guy boarded with two RM5 notes and he wanted to pay for four people. The driver could've handled this in a very polite manner but again, he fucked it up. The guy, which I think is a foreigner (probably Indon or Pilipino), passed the two notes to the driver and told him that it's for four person and wanted change. The driver, shoved the notes in the slot, and told him "tarak tukar!" (No change!)

He then proceeds to add: "Kalau you nak tukar, tunngu orang lain naik baru ambik kat dia orang! Pergi masuk dalam!" (If you wanted change, wait for other people to board and get it from them! Now go inside!)

Is that even the way they were trained to say?! Isn't it their job to collect the change from other boarding passengers and pass it instead of asking someone to stop passengers from slotting in money?!

At that point, I was really pissed. All I wanted to do is to call someone to complain about this asshole's attitude! But there weren't any number stated anywhere, which I could call. Then my pissed-off-writer mode sets in. You don't fuck around with a writer and gets away with it!

The minute I got off the bus, I took a picture of the bus' car plate number and wrote a complain email to Rapid KL!

The dude is probably having a bad day, or lacking sex. Whichever it is, you are still not allowed to take it out on the passengers! We are paying for the service and we do expect at least some courtesy out of it, if not great driving skills. The dude drove as if everyone on the road cursed his mother, or raped his sister. He honked. He cursed. Thank god there weren't any Mat Salleh on board to witness all this. I could only imagine what they are going to tell their friends and family when they get back. "Malaysian bus drivers are very rude and reckless!"

I really do hope this asshole gets punished! Someone should put this bastard through anger management or revoke his license... or both!

- jessism (c) 30062007 -

1 comment:

Apollo n Hermes said...

Yes i know it always happen in Malaysia... Thats why Malaysian still prefer drive than use the public transport. you pay for the bad service... what for???

i prefer Malaysia Public transport system can be like what SG doing now... all pay with card and u can even get discount for it when u pay with card... no need to talk so much with the driver...