Monday, December 10, 2007

The Cut (1)

I have never liked getting my hair cut. I guess it's one of those thing that was in me ever since I was a kid. For me, a trip to the barber was harder than a trip to the dentist, which is why, I never like going to places I have never been to to get a haircut. You'll never know if the person can deliver what you wanted, or give you something dodgy. In my case, it was both.

No thanks to the ever increasingly hot weather, I forced myself to get a haircut on Saturday. As 24 was busy with work, he hasn't the time to bring me to his stylist, so I was forced to go to one around my apartment.

Taking more than enough deep breaths to calm myself down, I finally rose up enough courage to walk into a salon. I told the guy who attended to me that I wanted to have my hair cut to shoulder length. And so it began.

As he cuts, i could sense that something was not right. The amount of hair on the floor doesn't exactly match what I asked for. So I thought to myself, maybe my hair at the back was longer than I thought it to be. Then came the lady boss, walking over to give her two cents worth. She told me that I should cut my hair shorter, cos long hair = more shedding. As I was really shedding like a cat lately, and thinking that she knows what she's saying, I told her to go for it. So she took over and started cutting.

Looking into the mirror, I can see that my hair was getting shorter and shorter. Half way through, she told me that she wanted to change how I part my hair and started to work on it. The guy who did my hair earlier can already tell that I was unhappy. The lady boss started telling me that it's ok to feel weird with short hair after having long hair for so long, assuring me that all will be fine. But something inside tells me that something was wrong somewhere.

Before I knew it, the cut was over. I didn't like what I saw in the mirror. The job was badly done and you can tell that the sides are uneven. When I pointed it out to her, she told me that it was because of the rebonding I did previously and there is nothing she could do about it. After cutting away half the length of my hair, she's now telling me that there's nothing she could do?! She proceeds to take out the hairdryer and started to blow and style my hair and utter that magic phrase: "See, it doesn't look all that bad."

I wanted to burn down her shop at that point.

The minute I got home, I went straight into the washroom, was out all the styling-agent she gave me and checked her work in front of the mirror. The sides are really uneven, the back was uneven, my hair was in a mess that I can not imagine. The worse part was: she had the back cut so short, there is no way another person can fix it unless my hair grows back overnight.

- jessim © 03122007 -

No comments: