Thursday, June 21, 2007

Genting (III): Death Ride

Jess can be pretty stupid at times. All my friends can tell you about it.

Forgetting that my friend drove us up to Genting, I woke up the next day regretting my decision. How am going to get down of Genting without getting on the Skyway?!

For those of you who don't already know, I have a serious case of acrophobia, so hanging on a wire in an enclosed space in mid air isn't exactly my kind of travel choice! But what else can I do? I can't just hike my way down Genting! On my way to the Skyway, I was praying hard for the mountain spirits to protect me and provide me a safe journey down. Here's a few facts about the Genting Skyway that you might not know of: According to its official website, the 3.38km journey from Gohtong Jaya all the way up to Genting takes only 11 minutes. Travelling at the maximum speed of 6 meters per second, the Genting Skyway is the fastest in the world! Here's an excerpt of what the site say about Genting Skyway:

TRULY A SKYHIGH EXPERIENCE
Feel your senses come alive when you ride the thrilling Genting Skyway up to Genting - City of Entertainment

As comforting as and exciting this might sound, my ride down from Genting felt like a "Fear Factor" moment. I shared the gondola with two other teenagers. The ride started out well. The kids were oohing and aahing about how beautiful every looked with the mist, while I watched Kylie's concert on my iPod, when it happened. All of us heard a weird and loud hum. Before I could look up to see what is going on, the whole gondola started to vibrate, as if an earthquake hit. The thing was over in about 15 seconds. I overheard one of the kid asking his friend what just happened and the friend said he doesn't know.

I tried not to think too much and tried my best to focus my attention back on Kylie. The kids started chatting again. Without any warning, the gondola suddenly vibrates again, this time, worse! The gondola started swaying! One of the kid uttered the forbidden phrase: "Is this thing going to drop?" "I don't know," said the friend. The gondola vibrated for a good 30 seconds (or more) but to me it felt like forever. We could feel that the vibe slowly fades away as the gondola moves on.

Just when we're still shocked by the swaying and the vibration, the radio suddenly comes on. "(static)come to Genting (static) (static) (static) please sit back and (static)joy the (static). If the (static)ops (static) (static) (static). We (static) you (static) (static)" All I could interprete the message into was: Welcome to Genting's Death Ride. Please sit back and enjoy the scare. If the gondola drops from the wire. We hope you die peacefully.

As if trying to reassure himself and his friend, one of them said, "I'm sure we're about to reach." I looked out the window and saw the we've reached the Gohtong Jaya horse ranch. The kid wasn't just saying it. We're safe at last! That was by far the scariest Skyway ride I had! I know we've all heard of scary Genting Skyway rumors that there have been cases where the gondola dropped and people were killed. But since a certain rich and powerful man owns the place, the news never hit the papers. I've had my doubts in rumors like that but after taking that ride, I believe it!

(Note to self: NO MORE Genting Skyway Ride! I'll rather hike up the hill than to have my life threatened this way!)

jessism © 21062007

2 comments:

Apollo n Hermes said...

Whahahaha.... kakakaka... I can't stop laughing when i read till the part you take the skyway...

It's alright la man... aiyo... actually there got direct bus come back to KL and there got different back to different place. the latest bus around 10.30pm. (remember last time I worked there?) hehehe... next time ask before you make the decision...

I heard some story about the cable car... emmm... really drop from the few hundred meter then sure cannot die peacefully... :P

~ 小狗 ~ said...

I think they should put a warning sign at the Skyway gondola's boarding gate that says: "Not for the faint hearted and those with heart illnesses!"

As scary and made-up the post might sound, the vibration and the sway are true! I still don't understand what happened that day! It was by far the scariest Skyway ride I had!