Monday, September 17, 2007

Parents

If you wanna know where I get my craziness from, you should definitely meet my family parents.

A visit home is just marked as a beginning when your parents pick you up from whether that you're stopping at. Be it the airport, train station, or even bus terminal, the routine parental remarks would usually be:
            a. How was the trip?
            b. You look tired.
            c. Go get some rest.
Mine was more like: How was the trip, I bet it was tiring. You look tired, didn't you sleep on the bus? You need to go get some rest when we get home.

Mothers. I really can't tell whether they are a blessing from God or the Chef From Hell sent by the Devil to punish us for all the stuff turkeys we ate. It seems as though all moms are programmed to stuff their kids like turkeys whenever they go home for a visit. On the morning I got home, I discovered that my mom had made a fridge filled with soya bean jelly for me, which is great~! Who doesn't like dessert, right? But when I found out what she prepared for lunch, I almost faint. Mom bought me curry noodle from my favorite stall, cooked some of my favorite dishes, boiled a pot of herbal soup, and on top of that, she cooked both porridge AND rice! All that for just ONE meal! Mom, I love you, but don't you think that's a little bit far too much for your skinny son?

After lunch, I decided to go have a look around the house.

A pile of overgrown weed? Look closely. It's a bunch of mint my mom grew that has now occupied almost a quarter of our backyard! When I talked to my mom about it, her exact reaction was: "Aren't they beautiful?" Yeah, if they were bunch of flowers or maybe if we are the supplier for Wrigley’s Spearmint!

Walking into our garden, I noticed that the rambutan tree that was there since I was a kid is missing. When I asked mom why the rambutan tree was chopped, she told me that the tree is too old and is growing out of hand, so it had to go before it collapses on to the house. Then she proceed to add, "Did you see the longan tree I planted to replace it?" Right, so a rambutan tree can collapse onto our house but a longan tree can't??

Apart from just chopping down the tree, Mom and Dad seem to think that it's a great idea to dig the roots out as well. Which is ok by me, but what happens after is that they left a hole big enough to be a swimming drowning pool. When I asked my Dad about the hole, he told me that he's making a kid-size swimming pool for mom?! (Talk about crazy parents!)

jessism © 17092007

No comments: